The advantages of belt drive are:
1. Smooth and noise during operation: It is suitable for transmission occasions with large center distance between two shafts.
2, there is buffer absorption: the belt has good elasticity, smooth transmission during operation can buffer and absorb vibration.
3, there is overload protection: If you encounter overload during work, the belt will slip on the pulley, can prevent weak parts from being damaged, can play a role of safety protection.
4, the manufacturing and installation accuracy requirements are not high: low cost, simple structure, simple manufacturing, low cost, no lubrication and cushioning, shock absorption, installation and maintenance are convenient.
5. Suitable for long-distance transmission (amax=15m): The belt is an intermediate part. The length can be selected according to the needs within a certain range to meet the requirements of the center distance.
The disadvantages of belt drive are:
1. The elastic sliding makes the transmission ratio i not constant: it is transmitted by friction and cannot transmit high power. Sliding in the drive does not guarantee an accurate gear ratio.
2. Sliding loss: When the belt is in working operation, due to the difference of the pulling force on both sides of the pulley and the corresponding deformation difference, the elastic sliding is caused, resulting in the loss of the speed of the pulley and the driven wheel. The elastic sliding is related to the load, speed, pulley diameter and the structure of the belt. Some belt drives also have geometric sliding. When the overload occurs, the slip will be caused, the movement of the belt will be in an unstable state, the efficiency will drop sharply, the wear will be intensified, and the life of the belt will be seriously affected.
3. Hysteresis loss: The belt will repeatedly expand and contract during operation. In particular, the winding on the pulley will cause friction loss caused by friction inside the belt body.
4. Air resistance: When driving at high speed, the wind resistance in motion will cause torque loss, and the loss value is proportional to the square of the speed. Therefore, when designing high-speed belt transmission, the surface area of the belt should be small, try to use a thick and narrow belt, the spoke surface of the pulley should be smooth, or use a web to reduce the wind resistance.